The semi-loopers in cruciferous plants are identified as plump greenish larvae that damage the winter crops, mostly in northwest India. The young pests are more damaging to the crops. Here are some ways to control them.
Symptoms of Semi loopers in Crucifers
Semiloopers in cruciferous plants, scrap and feed on the tender leaves. Such infested feeding sites are identifiable by the sticky wet faecal matter of the pests.
Preventive Measures of Semi loopers in Crucifers
- Using light traps can attract and kill adult worms easily.
- Hand-picking and getting rid of caterpillars is another method of elimination.
- Spraying endosulfan or malathion could also be done.
- You may also choose Trichogramma wasps to remove these worms as they can remove the eggs.
- Spraying natural insecticides such as Bacillus thuringiensis can eliminate the young caterpillars.
- The final way is to remove the plant debris after each harvest.
Chemical Control of Semi loopers in Crucifers
- Ekalux Insecticide is an insecticide effective against a wide range of pests. It contains Quinalphos 25 % EC and is recommended for sucking pests that affect various crops. The dilution ratio of this product is 2 ml per litre of water or 400 ml per acre.
- Alika Insecticide is another broad-spectrum insecticide made of 141 g/L Thiamethoxam and 106 g/L Lambda-cyhalothrin. Use it at a dilution of 0.5 ml per litre or 80 ml per acre for green and luscious crucifer crops.
- Cover Insecticide is part of the anthranilic diamide group that acts on the ryanodine receptors of the insects and works both as a contact and ingestion method. The product affects the muscle contraction of the insects to kill them eventually. It contains Chlorantraniliprole 18.5% W/W SC that protects for a longer time by building up on the leaf to prevent further infestation. Using this at a dilution of 60 ml per care will help you grow a higher yield.
- Decis 2.8 Ec is a synthetic pyrenoid insecticide and one of the most effective products against pests. It has a composition of Deltamethrin 2.8 EC (2.8% w/w) with a photostable and non-systemic action. It affects the nerve transmission of the pests and gets rid of them. You can dilute it at a ratio of 1.5 to 2 ml per litre of water.
You have a wider range of products to choose from to manage the semi-loopers. When coupled with effective preventive measures, you can be on top of them. We hope that this information will be helpful to you. To get all kinds of information related to crops visit our website https://kisanvedika.bighaat.com/ or give a missed call on our toll-free number 1800 3000 2434.
Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be construed to be financial or legal advice. Pesticides are a considerable risk of loss in crops and viewers are advised to do their own research before making any decisions.