Rose Spider Mites are one of the most common pests of rose crops worldwide, causing damage to leaves, stems and flowers. They are tiny arachnids that feed on the sap of rose plants, leading to wilting, yellowing and stunted growth of the plant. The mite causes economic damage to roses across the world. Rose spider mites are most active in warm and dry weather and populations can build up quickly in these conditions. This article will explore the causes, symptoms and management measures for controlling rose spider mites.
Type of Infestation
Rose Spider Mites are a type of sap feeder, which feeds on the sap of the rose plants.
Scientific Name: Tetranychus urticae
Most Affected States
Rose Spider Mites are widely distributed in India, affecting rose crops in major rose-growing states such as Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu.
Symptoms of Rose Spider Mites
- Both nymphs and adults suck the sap from the lower surface of the leaves.
- Appearance of small, yellow or brown colored spots can be seen on the leaves
- Yellowing and wilting of leaves is a common symptom caused by spider mites.
- Severe infestation of rose spider mites can result in stunted growth of the affected plants.
- These mites can also spin fine webs on the leaves and stems of the plant.
Rose spider mites are a common pest of rose crops and can cause significant damage if not managed effectively. To control these pests, an integrated approach that combines several management strategies is necessary.
- Removing the weeds and other debris can help reduce the incidence of mite.
- Proper irrigation and fertilization can help maintain the health of the rose plants and reduce their susceptibility to spider mite infestations.
- Regularly prune the infected plant parts and destroy them.
- Release natural predators and parasites like ladybugs, lacewings, predatory mites and parasitic wasps to control spider mite populations.
- Ecotin Insecticide is a neem based biological insecticide containing Azadirachtin, which can effectively control spider mites in roses. The recommended dosage is 0.4 – 0.7 ml per liter water.
- Royal Clear Mite is a bio insecticide which contains natural plant extracts, disrupts the breathing of spider mites and prevents them from hatching. The recommended dosage is 2ml per liter of water.
Chemical measures include the application of commercial insecticides to control rose spider mites. Insecticides that can be used to control are mentioned below,
|Abamectin 1.9% EC
|0.7 ml/lit of water
|Propargite 57% EC
|2 ml /lit of water
|Chlorfenapyr 10% SC
|2 ml/lit of water
|Hexythiazox 5.45% EC
|1 ml/lit of water
|Spiromesifen 22.9% SC
|0.3 ml /lit of water
|Cyenopyrafen 30% SC
|0.5 ml/lit of water