Tuta absoluta is a highly damaging pest on tomato plants that affect their food production. It is also known as the South American tomato pinworm and tomato leafminer. In this growing concern regarding its infestation, it is necessary to identify the most effective measures to tackle this issue and improve crop production.
The pest causes the leaves to become abnormal in shape and get puncture marks on their surfaces. Appearances of blotch-shaped mines are also common. The infested fruits will get holes on their surfaces, causing loss and rejection in the market. In severe infestations, the overall yield will also be reduced.
- Make sure to thoroughly plough the land to reduce infestations.
- Crop rotation with resistance plants will be another effective method.
- Regularly remove the infested leaves so that they do not affect the other leaves and remove the pests promptly.
- Benevia insecticide is an oil dispersion formula under the anthranilic diamide group. The active ingredient Cyazypyr active makes an effective foliar spray for the early stages of plant growth. This will ensure fewer infestations and proper development. It acts on the pests by contact and ingestion and will kill them within 3-6 days of contact. Dilute it at 2ml per litre of water.
- Vayego insecticide is an antifeedant effective on all stages of the pest from eggs to adult forms. It reduces fruit damage and improves yield. The active ingredient is Tetraniliprole which is an ideal choice for insecticide-resistant pests. The dilution ratio is 0.5 ml in one litre of water.
- Caldan SP insecticide is another option that is effective against all stages of pests. Being a part of the Nereistoxin analogue group, the insecticide acts through contact, systemic, as well as stomach methods. It controls the biting and chewing of pests. The recommended dosage is 2 gm of the powder mixed in one litre of water.
- Abacin insecticide shows a strong translaminar effect through contact and ingestion. This natural product is safe for mammals as it contains Abamectin. This is a broad-spectrum insecticide as well as a miticide. Use it after dilution of 1 ml in one litre of water.
Since it is difficult to find disease resistant tomato plants, regular care for the plants and effective use of insecticides are the only and best methods to control Tuta absoluta.We hope that this information will be helpful for you. To get all kinds of information related to such crops visit our website https://kisanvedika.bighaat.com/ or give a missed call on our toll free number 1800 3000 2434.
Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be construed to be financial or legal advice. Pesticides are a considerable risk of loss in crops and viewers are advised to do their own research before making any decisions.