Ever since Mithila Makhana got a GI Tag, the Government of Bihar has promoted makhana production in the state. Currently, the promotional makhana subsidy is available in just a few districts. This will be excellent financial support for the farmers to enhance their production. The objective of the Bihar Makhana Vikas Yojana is to improve the overall productivity and quality of the phool makhana, a nutritious snack.
- Scheme Name: Bihar Makhana Vikas Yojana or Bihar Makhana Development Scheme
- Scheme Modified: September 2022
- Scheme Fund Allocated: Up to INR 72,750
- Type of Government Scheme: State Government of Bihar
- Sponsored / Sector Scheme: Department of Agriculture, Bihar
- Website to apply: http://horticulture.bihar.gov.in/HORTMIS/Home.aspx
- Helpline No.: 15545, 1800-345-6268
Features Bihar Makhana Development Scheme
The Bihar Makhana Vikas Yojana is a scheme of the state government to promote the cultivation of Mithila makhana and other local varieties. Makhana of Bihar is famous across India as a nutritious food. Recently, the demand for these seeds has been rising, and the state got a GI tag. Now, the state authorities have concocted this scheme to help farmers with crop production. There would be assistance with the machinery repair and other maintenance work. Project details are given below.
|Who is it for?||Farmers who cultivate makhana|
|Objective||To increase makhana production from 16 quintals per hectare to 28 quintals per hectare.|
|Total cost||INR 97,000 per farmer|
|Subsidy amount given||75% of the total cost, up to INR 72,750.|
Benefits of Bihar Makhana Vikas Yojana
- The aim is to increase the productivity and quality of makhana, the increase in production will benefit the farmers.
- Those who need assistance with the maintenance work of their production units can apply for this scheme.
- Under this scheme, there will be a reservation of 16% for the Scheduled Caste and 1% for the Scheduled Tribe. This reservation will be for each district.
- The makhana subsidy is also beneficial for women as there will be steps to ensure that at least 30% of the beneficiaries are women. It means that women in each district have a better chance of getting approval under this makhana subsidy scheme.
- The authorities will help you find good quality makhana varieties and introduce new varieties to promote better-quality seeds.
Drawback of Makhana Subsidy in Bihar
The main drawback of the Bihar Makhana Vikas Yojna is that it is now available in just eight districts. Soon it will be implemented in three more districts for a total of 11 districts. These districts are Katihar, Darbhanga, Supaul, Kishanganj, Purnia, Saharsa, Araria, West Champaran, Madhepura, Madhubani, and Sitamarhi. It is not yet beneficial for the farmers in the other districts, and it may take time for the government to extend the project to other areas.
How to Apply?
The application for Makhana Subsidy in Bihar is through the official online portal, and you can also apply for the scheme through the CSC near you. The application process is over now, and the subsequent application process will open in the coming months or next year.
You must note that the application process will be open only for a few days from the date of notification. You can enquire about the same at the nearest CSC or local panchayat. The online process of application is explained below.
- Step 1: Visit official website, as mentioned above.
- Step 2: Now click on the ‘Avail benefits button’
- Step 3: Now, click on the APPLY button against the Bihar Makhana Vikas Yojana on the new page.
- Step 4: Agree to the terms and conditions on the next page.
- Step 5: Provide your Farmers DBT Registration Number, and click on the button ‘Get Details”.
- Step 6: Now, the application form will appear. Fill in the details sections and submit your form.
- Step 7: Save the application number and download the form for future reference.
- Aadhaar card for personal ID
- Papers of the property where you are doing the farming
- Address proof
- Bank passbook
- PAN card
- Mobile number
- Passport size photograph
There are several varieties of makhana cultivation in Bihar. Depending on the location, you can choose any of these for your farm. The benefits will be the same for all, no matter your location.
Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be construed to be financial or legal advice. Pesticides are a considerable risk of loss in crops and viewers are advised to do their own research before making any decisions.