Water plays a major role in agriculture. About 80% of water consumption in India is used for irrigation in agriculture. Indian farmers are still dependent on rainfall for irrigating their lands which makes them vulnerable to crop failure and other risks. Keeping this in mind, the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare implemented Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana scheme (PMKSY) in 2015. The scheme aims to provide a comprehensive solution to improve farm productivity and ensure better utilization of water resources. The important element of PM Krishi Sinchayee Yojana scheme is micro level irrigation solution, as it ensures the efficient use of water on the farm level.
- Scheme Name: Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- Scheme Implemented: 2015
- Scheme Fund Allocated: 93,068 crore (Central Assistance – 37,454)
- Type of Government Scheme: Centrally Sponsored Scheme
- Sector / Sponsored Scheme: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
- Website to apply: https://pmksy.gov.in/
- Helpline No: NA
Components of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP): The aim of this component is to provide financial assistance to states for completing ongoing irrigation projects, such as dams, barrages, canals and wells.
- Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP): HKKP component aims to improve water use efficiency at the farm level by providing end-to-end solutions for water conservation and management, including micro-irrigation, watershed development and rainwater harvesting.
- Watershed Development Component (WDC): Watershed component in PMKSY aims to increase soil moisture levels and groundwater recharge by implementing measures such as contour bunding, earthen bunding, land leveling and vegetative measures.
(Note: Per drop more crop component, which was a component of PMKSY earlier, is now implemented separately)
Features of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
|Extended till 2026 (Earlier it was till 2020)
|Eligibility Criteria for PMKSY
|National Steering Committee (NSC):
National Executive Committee (NEC):
|All States and UTs including Northeastern States are covered
|PMKSY – HKKP is applicable only for the areas having
|Target from 2021- 2026
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- To expand cultivable land in the country and achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level.
- To promote sustainable water management practices and reduce water wastage in agriculture.
- To improve access to irrigation for all farmers, including small and marginal farmers.
- To enhance the adoption of precision irrigation techniques and other water-saving technologies.
- Improving on-farm water use efficiency to reduce the consumption of water in agriculture.
- To provide end-to-end solutions for water conservation, management and irrigation infrastructure development.
Challenges of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana
- Climate change can have a significant impact on the success of PMKSY. Changes in rainfall patterns and water availability can affect the effectiveness of irrigation infrastructure, making it difficult to ensure sustainable use of water resources.
How to apply?
Step 1: Visit the official website of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana, i.e. https://pmksy.gov.in/
Step 2: Click on the ‘Login’ button on the Homepage
Step 3: Enter the credentials and login into your account
Step 4: After successfully logging in, click on the ‘User’ option and select ‘Create User’ from the drop-down menu of user.
Step 5: The portal will redirect you to ‘New User Registration Form’
Step 6: Fill all the asked information carefully and after completing click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Aadhar Card
- Address Proof
- Agricultural land papers
- Bank Passbook
- Passport size photograph
- Domicile certificate of state
- Caste certificate
Therefore, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee yojana can bring significant benefits to farmers and agriculture as whole by ensuring the efficient use of water resources.