HomeNewsNational Agri NewsAgriculture News at a Glance: November Highlights

Agriculture News at a Glance: November Highlights

1. Andhra Pradesh tops in agriculture loans

  • A recent study by the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has shown that Andhra Pradesh has become the leading state in providing agricultural loans to farmers, based on loan disbursement statistics for 2011-12 and 2021-22, that is nearly 129 lakh per hectare.
  • The study also revealed that in 2011, the major four states with the highest average outstanding loans per agricultural household were Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka and Kerala. While the country’s average loan per agri household was Rs. 72,121.
  • It was found that the institutional lending was 69.6 percent whereas the remaining 30.4 per cent was from the non-institutional lenders.

2. Loans and skills for Lac cultivation for Chhattisgarh farmers

  • Chhattisgarh, a state known for its traditional lac cultivation, is set to promote this industry to generate Rs. 250 crores by increasing production to 10,000 tonnes from the current state of around 4,000 tonnes production valued at Rs. 100 crores.
  • The government will provide free training and loans to farmers, with a loan limit.
  • To facilitate training, a centre has been opened in Kanker by the state minor Forest Produce Federation.

3. Rubber Research Institute of India to test GM rubber in Guwahati

The Rubber Research Institute of India will be conducting field trials for newly developed genetically modified (GM) rubber plants at its Sarutari farm in Guwahati. These trials will evaluate the stress tolerance, disease incidence and yield of the plants under field conditions for 15 years before they are approved for commercialization. The trials will follow standard operating procedures issued by the Biotechnology Department and will be carried out on one acre of the farm.

4. Union Agri Minister Opens M&M’s Farm Machinery Plant in MP

Union Agriculture Minister inaugurates Mahindra’s Greenfield farm machinery plant at Pithampur in MP. This 23-acre facility can manufacture 1,200 combine harvesters and 3,300 rice transplanters per year. It will provide affordable, high-quality ‘Made in India’ farm machinery under Mahindra and Swaraj brands, for both domestic and global markets. The plant and its supplier park are expected to create 1,100 jobs.

5. Assam’s ‘Special Mission’ to Boost its Millet Production

Assam launches ‘Assam Millet Mission’ to double farmers’ income by boosting millet production. The aim is to increase the millet farming area to 25,000 hectares in the next 7 years and to contribute to crop diversification.

6. Kashmir’s Saffron Production Blooms: A Rising Trend

Kashmir’s Saffron yields have increased by 48% this year in the last seven to eight years, benefiting 16,000 saffron-dependent families in the Valley. The establishment of a spice park in Kashmir has helped in sorting, grading, drying and packaging saffron, which is now marketed from the valley.

7. 30 Integrated Pack House Inaugurated in Haryana

Union Agriculture Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar, inaugurated 30 integrated pack houses in Aterna village, Sonipat, Haryana. The pack houses were built through Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) and are part of the state government’s plan to establish 500 pack houses. The move is expected to revolutionize the horticulture sector in Haryana. Additionally, brackish water farmers have been encouraged to take up shrimp farming.

8. Rajasthan goes digital with online land registration portal for PM Kusum Yojana

Rajasthan Launches SKAY for Decentralized Solar Projects under PM-KUSUM Scheme: Farmers can now lease out barren land for solar project development through a dedicated online portal created by Distribution companies (DISCOMs). Project developers and farmers can register on the portal to collaborate on securing land for solar power plants on a predetermined lease basis.

9. Andhra Pradesh CM releases Rs. 200 crore subsidy to boost farmers’ income

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy released Rs. 200 crores for input subsidies and zero interest rate loans for 8.68 lakh farmers to compensate for crop loss and reduce the interest burden. The “Sunna Vaddi Panta Runalu” scheme is designed to aid small, marginal, and actual cultivators in the state.

Read More

Stay in Touch

Subscribe to receive latest updates from us.

Related Articles

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x