The “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan” is a groundbreaking initiative in India, spearheaded by Secretary (Fisheries) Dr. Abhilaksh Likhi, to revolutionize financial inclusion and support for the fisheries sector. This transformative campaign aims to provide every eligible fisher and fish farmer with easy access to the Kisan Credit Card (KCC), an essential financial tool. The pivotal meeting, attended by key stakeholders, emphasized the need to reduce KCC application rejections, fast-track approvals, and create awareness of RBI guidelines. The collaborative effort is set to address challenges, boost awareness, and empower the fisheries sector, contributing to India’s economic growth and the welfare of those working in its waters.The meeting was a congregation of senior officers representing various States and Union Territories, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), Scheduled Commercial Banks, the Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Regional Rural Banks (RRBs), the Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, and State Level Bankers Committees (SLBCs).
The “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan” is a revolutionary initiative aimed at enhancing financial inclusion and support for the fisheries sector in India. Chaired by Secretary (Fisheries) Dr. Abhilaksh Likhi, a pivotal meeting brought together senior officers from various States and Union Territories, along with representatives from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) , Scheduled Commercial Banks, the Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, State Level Bankers Committees (SLBCs), the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and Regional Rural Banks (RRBs). This ambitious campaign strives to ensure that every eligible fisher and fish farmer has seamless access to the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) facility. The meeting highlighted the importance of reducing KCC application rejections, fast-tracking approvals, and increasing awareness of RBI guidelines for eligibility. Here’s a brief overview of this groundbreaking initiative:
- Dr. Abhilaksh Likhi’s Vision: Dr. Abhilaksh Likhi, Secretary (Fisheries), spearheads the “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan” and emphasizes the need to expand the KCC facility throughout the entire fisheries value chain. His vision is to cover every eligible individual and drive efforts to minimize KCC application rejections.
- Special KCC Campaign during Sagar Parikrama: Dr. Likhi commended the success of the Special KCC campaign during Sagar Parikrama, urging all stakeholders to collaborate for the successful execution of the “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan.”
- Aims and Objectives: Shri Sagar Mehra, Joint Secretary of the Department of Fisheries (DoF), discussed the goals of the ‘Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan.’ He emphasized the importance of active participation from States/UTs and banks for its successful implementation. The campaign’s primary aim is universal financial inclusion for fish farmers, ensuring they have unrestricted access to credit facilities.
- Issues Addressed: Shri Mehra highlighted the issues faced by beneficiaries, including documentation and bank procedures, as reported by States and Union Territories. Notably, KCCs worth Rs 1746.16 Crore have been sanctioned to 1,59,903 fishers and fish farmers.
- Importance of RBI Guidelines: The Joint Secretary emphasized the need to raise awareness about the latest RBI guidelines regarding KCC eligibility for fishers, ensuring that the eligible beneficiaries can avail themselves of its benefits.
- Corrective Measures: A concerted effort was discussed to analyze the rejection of KCC applications and to implement corrective measures by banks and other stakeholders. This is essential to ensure that the maximum number of beneficiaries can access this crucial financial tool.
- Challenges from States/UTs: Participants from various States and Union Territories raised concerns related to mobilizing applications, eligibility criteria, credit limits, and documentation. They pledged their full cooperation to the ongoing “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan.”
- Commitment from Stakeholders: NABARD, Scheduled Commercial Banks, the Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, State Level Bankers Committees (SLBCs), Regional Rural Banks (RRBs), and the RBI have pledged their dedicated efforts towards prioritizing the “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan” for the fisheries sector. Their collective aim is to ensure that every eligible fisher and fish farmer benefits from KCC facilities, achieving maximum saturation.
The “Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan” stands as a monumental step towards empowering the fisheries sector by ensuring easy access to the Kisan Credit Card. This transformative initiative promises financial inclusion, support, and a brighter future for fisheries and fish farmers across India. By addressing challenges, promoting awareness, and working collaboratively, it aims to unlock the potential of this vital sector, contributing to the nation’s economic growth and the well-being of those who toil in its waters.The ‘Ghar-Ghar KCC Abhiyaan’ is not just a financial initiative but a transformative force that aims to uplift the lives of fish farmers across the country. With the collective efforts of the government, financial institutions, and the dedicated fish farmers, we are on the brink of a brighter and more prosperous future for the fisheries sector.