For all farmers in the aquaculture sector, exciting news awaits as the Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying, Shri Parshottam Rupala, is all set to launch the Report Fish Disease (RFD) App, a revolutionary tool aimed at strengthening disease reporting systems and enhancing aquatic animal disease management in the country. This groundbreaking app, developed by ICAR-NBFGR under the National Surveillance Programme for Aquatic Animal Diseases (NSPAAD), promises to bring immense benefits to farmers and the entire aquaculture industry. Let’s delve into the overview of this innovative initiative and explore its potential to empower farmers and bolster the aquaculture sector.
The aquaculture sector has been experiencing remarkable growth over the years, with total export earnings of approximately Rs. 57,586.48 crores in 2021-22. However, the industry faces significant challenges, primarily stemming from aquatic animal diseases. Surveillance for aquatic animal diseases is essential to detect outbreaks early, thereby minimizing their impacts on fish populations, industries, and ecosystems. Early detection is key to effective eradication and containment efforts. The absence of a field-level disease reporting mechanism often leads to underreporting of diseases in aquaculture. However, the RFD app comes to the rescue, creating a seamless connection that links farmers, field-level officers, and fish health experts, thus filling the reporting gap.
- Empowering Farmers: The RFD app is designed to empower farmers by allowing them to report disease incidents in finfish, shrimps, and molluscs on their farms. Through the app, they can collaborate with field-level officers and fish health experts, receiving timely and scientific advice for efficient disease management.
- Data Storage and Mapping: The app stores disease-related data on a temporal and spatial scale, enabling the mapping of disease cases. This data-driven approach will aid in better understanding disease patterns and implementing targeted solutions.
- Increasing Farmers’ Income: By improving farmer-based reporting and providing scientific advice, the RFD app seeks to reduce losses caused by diseases, ultimately leading to increased farmers’ income and better livelihoods.
- Promoting Early Detection: Early detection of diseases is crucial for eradicating and containing outbreaks. The Fish Disease Reporting App plays a pivotal role in promoting early detection, rapid response, and collaboration among stakeholders.
- Enhancing Fish Disease Management: With its wide-ranging impact, the app promises to revolutionize fish disease management in aquaculture systems. It fosters knowledge sharing and collaboration, contributing to the sustainability and resilience of the industry and ecosystems.
The launch of the Report Fish Disease (RFD) App marks a pivotal moment in the aquaculture sector, offering a transformative solution to disease reporting and management. By harnessing the power of technology and data, this app empowers farmers, promotes collaboration, and ensures the sustainability and growth of the aquaculture industry. Let’s embrace this innovative tool and work together to fortify the health of our aquatic animals, uplift our farming communities, and pave the way for a prosperous and resilient aquaculture future.