Foot rot disease in rice is caused by a fungus named Fusarium moniliforme. It can affect the plant in its younger or mature stage. The symptoms shown at these stages will be different.
Symptoms of Foot Rot
The infection in the seedling stage is identified by lanky and lean plants that grow taller than usual. The mature plants also show similar symptoms with longer internodes and aerial roots. These plants may result in producing sterile spikelets.
- While using nitrogen fertilisers, make sure to use only the necessary amount.
- Use seeds only after seed treatment.
- Restrict water flow from one plant to the other.
- Plough the land deep during summer to ensure the destruction of fungal spores.
Some effective chemicals to control Foot rot in Paddy
- Roko Fungicide is made of Thiophanate methyl 70% WP. It has a combination of systemic action that works as both preventive and curative. The presence of S atoms enhances its fungicidal and phytotonic activities. It will also dissolve easily in water. Just mix and use 0.5 gm in 1 litre of water for foliar spray and 2-3 gm per kg of seeds for seed treatment.
- Companion is a broad-spectrum fungicide that can be preventive and curative. The dual action of Carbendazim 12% and Mancozeb 63% WP is effective in controlling the disease and can act on a large number of crops in different manners. It is nutritive to the plants and promotes healthy growth and promotes growth as well. There is no waiting period for the product which can be used even close to harvest. The dosage is 300 gm per acre or 1.5 gm per litre of water.
- Nativo contains Tebuconazole 50% and Trifloxystrobin 25% WG that helps in the effective control and eradication of the disease. In rice, it prevents later incidence as well. Use 0.5 gm per litre of water for spraying.
- Tata Ayaan is made of Kresoxim-methyl 40% and Hexaconazole 8% WG that act against fungus on a broad spectrum. It helps improve the yield by effectively controlling the pathogens. It is specifically successful against the foot rot of paddy. The product comes in powdered form. You can mix and use 1 gm of product per 1 litre of water.
Foot rot of rice required effective seed treatment to prevent the disease. Early application of the fungicides is necessary in most cases. Apply the fungicides only as per the guidelines to see better effects and improved yield.