The Dairy Entrepreneurship Development Scheme or named DEDS, is a scheme that helps dairy farmers in their various endeavours and stages. The scheme provides financial support for the farmers for each level, from production to marketing. The Department of Animal Husbandry implemented the Dairying and Fisheries scheme to promote self-employment in dairy farming. The scheme has been implemented for many years, and the Government of India has made necessary amendments to increase its reachability.
- Scheme Name: Dairy Entrepreneurship Development Scheme
- Scheme Modified: 2010.
- Scheme Fund Allocated: 10% loan or 25% subsidy
- Type of Government Scheme: Central Government of India
- Sponsored / Sector Scheme: –
- Website to apply: https://www.nabard.org/
- Helpline No.: NA
- Features of the DEDS Scheme
The DEDS scheme helps dairy farmers build or repair their infrastructure, thus promoting clean milk production. Help is also provided in the form of calf rearing and preserving breeding stock. The scheme aims to consolidate this unorganised sector of farmers. Under this scheme, you can get financial assistance of a minimum of INR 6300 to up to INR 11 lakhs under various categories.
|Who are eligible||Farmers, Entrepreneurs, Self-Help Groups (SHGs), Cooperative Societies, Dairy Unions and Federation, etc.|
|Help categories||10% loan on total investment
25% subsidy for general category
33.3% for SC/ST category
|Loan interest rates||As per RBI guidelines|
|Loan tenure||Repayment within 3 to 7 years|
|Subsidy for||Small dairy units, calf rearing, vermicompost unit, milk machinery, processing equipments., transportation, cold storage, marketing and veterinary assistance.|
Benefits of the DEDS Dairy Scheme
- Opportunity to improve quality and technology of milk handling on a commercial scale.
- Provides assistance with infrastructure improvement.
- Financial assistance for milk production and processing of milk products.
- Create more self-employment opportunities through various categories under this scheme, including vermicompost units, marketing, cold storage, etc.
- Measures are being taken to identify and preserve the excellent breeding stock and their rearing for more productivity.
- Giving the opportunity to start milk processing units at the village level.
Drawbacks of the NABARD Dairy Entrepreneur Development Scheme
- Price restrictions are applicable per calf for a 20-calf unit for both loan and subsidy. It is INR 17,100 for the loans and INR 12,100 for the subsidy. This can be a setback for those who purchase more stock at a higher rate. They may get a different benefit than those purchasing with less cost.
- The amount is capped for each category for a minimum project cost. This is another concern for those with a high-cost unit in respective categories.
- The project was cancelled in the 2020-21 financial year with no incentives to the farmers. So the same could happen again unless necessary measures are taken.
How to Apply?
- Step 1. You must go to the NABARD official website and choose the Government Sponsored Schemes tab.
- Step 2. Click on the Dairy Entrepreneurship Development Scheme (DEDS).
- Step 3. Follow the instructions to go to the application page.
As of now, the latest circular uploaded says that the scheme is suspended for the last financial year. There are no notifications on its commencement so far. You will get more information on this scheme from the local Panchayat.
While submitting the Dairy Entrepreneurship Development Scheme application form, you need to upload or submit the supportive documents such as,
- Property document
- Address proof
- Aadhaar Card
- Mobile number
- Latest passport size photograph
- Project report
- Approval letter from the bank
- Income certificate
- Caste certificate, as applicable
Since the Dairy Entrepreneurship Development Scheme was launched, billions of rupees have been disbursed to the beneficiaries over the years. There have been plenty of takers in general and reserved categories, and they have managed to improve their farming and contribution to the dairy industry. If you are interested in this field, you can try your luck. This is a wonderful opportunity for young aspirants to start their life as self-employed. You may try it on your own or in collaboration with others. The scheme allows individuals of the same family to seek financial support as long as they have individual units under their name.
Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be construed to be financial or legal advice. Pesticides are a considerable risk of loss in crops and viewers are advised to do their own research before making any decisions.