Downy mildew is a type of fungal disease caused by water mould. This fungus can attack a variety of plants, specifically gourd crops. The affected plants could potentially cause economic loss to the farmers. Prevention is the key to controlling this disease as it can attack any part of the plant from flowers, leaves, fruits, etc.
- The upper surface of the leaves shows pale yellow or green coloured spots that later turn brown.
- Even though angular leaf spot is often mistaken to be this fungal disease, there is very little difference between these.
- Downy mildew is more prevalent in wet and humid conditions. It can spread by air, water splashes and even through human hands and gardening tools.
- Use resistant varieties of the plants wherever possible and buy the plants and seeds only from reputed nurseries.
- Scout the affected plants immediately and pack them in plastic bags and drop them in thrash. Do not use such plants in the compost pile.
- Remove moisture by allowing more air circulation. Timely pruning can make way for better air circulation.
- Do not water the plants from the top. Instead, use irrigation methods that water the roots rather than the leaves.
- Melody Duo Fungicide contains Iprovalicarb and Propineb to prevent disease and promote healthy yield. It can act on several fungal strains and is compatible with young leaves and shoots to prevent spore formation by the fungus. Mix 3-4 gm in one litre of water.
- Curzate Fungicide contains the active ingredients cymoxanil and mancozeb that has the dual action of systemic and contact methods. It is effective even after three days of infection and eliminates the fungus. Dilute it 2 to 2.5 gm per litre of water and apply it at an interval of 5-7 days and 20 days for the third dose.
- Acrobat Complete Fungicide is made of Metiram and Dimethomorph affects the lipid membrane and cell wall of the fungi. You can dilute up to 4 gm in one litre of water depending on the severity of the infection.
- Folio Gold Fungicide is made of Metalaxyl and has a contact and systemic action. It prevents fungal buildup which is effective at a dilution of 1.5-2 ml per litre or 300- 400 ml per acre.
Always discard the affected plants after removal for effective prevention. We hope that this information will be helpful for you. To get all kinds of information related to such crops visit our website https://kisanvedika.bighaat.com/ or give a missed call on our toll free number 1800 3000 2434.
Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be construed to be financial or legal advice. Pesticides are a considerable risk of loss in crops and viewers are advised to do their own research before making any decisions.