Stemborer In Rice is one of the most common pests of paddy. The moth has two varieties, male and female that differ in size and the presence or absence of a black spot. The females are larger with a black spot which is absent in the smaller-sized male moths. They lay eggs that grow to become larvae and then pupa before they become adult moths.
Symptoms Of Stemborer In Rice
The biggest symptom of Stemborer In Rice is the cluster of brown-colored eggs near the tip of the leaves. The larvae penetrate the central shoot resulting in drying of the shoot causing a ‘dead heart’. In an adult plant, the infestation causes drying of the panicle which is called ‘white ear’.
- Spraying kernel extract and neem oil are one of the effective preventive measures.
- Clipping the affected seedling tips should be done before the transplantation. This will remove the egg masses.
- The next should be using some quality insecticides.
Chemical Control For Stemborer In Rice
- Virtako Insecticide is in granular form with a dual action method on the pests. Containing 0.5% chlorantraniliprole and 1% thiamethoxam, it gives longer protection to the crops. It is safe for the environment and the plants by helping them with better yield and no cause for stunted growth. The recommended dosage here is 2.5 kg per acre with a 20-30 DAT during the vegetative or tillering stage.
- Cover Insecticide is in the anthranilic diamide class having a novel action on the ryanodine receptors of the insects. It works just by the contact but better by the ingestion of the plant material that is sprayed on. The recommended dosage is 60 ml per acre.
- Koranda Insecticide is a synthetic pyrethroid that has both contact and systemic actions and works on a broad spectrum of insects. It is specifically active against lepidopteran insects that affect different crops. The active ingredients here are cypermethrin 5% and chlorpyrifos 50%. The dosage recommended is 400 ml per acre or 2 ml per litre of water.
- Alanto Insecticide is part of the neonicotinoid class that contains thiacloprid 240 SC. It is stable under sunlight and rain and remains on the leaf surface for extended effects against insects. The active ingredient penetrates into the leaf to affect the nervous system of the insects. Use 2 ml in one litre of water.
A wider variety of insecticides could be used for the Stemborer In Rice for better pest management. We hope that this information will be helpful to you. To get all kinds of information related to crops visit our website https://kisanvedika.bighaat.com/ or give a missed call on our toll-free number 1800 3000 2434.
Note: The information contained herein is for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be construed to be financial or legal advice. Pesticides are a considerable risk of loss in crops and viewers are advised to do their own research before making any decisions.